Retrofit Emission Control
Retrofitting means equipping a vehicle or machine already in traffic with an effective exhaust aftertreatment device and this way the vehicle's emissions can be reduced reliably. Proventia offers world-leading retrofit solutions for upgrading a vehicle's emission class, even up to Euro VI emission level.
Low air quality, combined with exceeded threshold values set for nitrogen oxides, has forced many countries and cities to make rapid decisions to improve air quality. A large proportion of city buses, coaches and trucks are still diesel-fuelled, and they are not even close to the end of their service life. Many countries and cities have decided to allocate public funds to support the installation of an effective exhaust aftertreatment system on existing vehicles.
Today, NOx emissions are the main concern. The annual threshold values set for nitrogen dioxides (NO2) (40 µg/m3) in the EU directive on ambient air quality have been exceeded in many busy roadside areas in large cities for several years. Action to reduce NOx is therefore being implemented in many cities and countries.
Both the automotive industry and non-mobile machine manufacturers have successfully used selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology in OE applications for NOx reduction. The same technology has also proved efficient and reliable in retrofitting. SCR with DPF is the most efficient combination in the market, targeting both NOx and PM emissions. The highly effective Proventia NOxBUSTER® City technology combines these two technologies and overcomes the challenges of slow urban driving, meeting the highest emission limits for heavy duty vehicles.
Low Emission Zones
To improve air quality, many cities worldwide have implemented Low Emission Zones (LEZ) or Environmental Zones (E-Zones), which require diesel machines and vehicles to meet certain exhaust emissions levels before they are allowed to drive inside them. In some Low Emission Zones, drivers of higher-emission vehicles are required to pay more if they wish to enter the zone.
Emission class upgrading - fast and cost-effective
Polluting vehicles can be retrofitted with efficient exhaust gas aftertreatment devices diesel particulate filters and SCR systems, for example. In the short term, retrofitting is the fastest and most cost-effective way to improve air quality and reduce environmental, financial and health impacts direct and indirect. For the amount of money spent on just one new bus, 20 existing buses can be retrofitted. Depending on the vehicle's original emission level, Proventia NOxBUSTER® systems can upgrade its emission class up to Euro VI.
- The award-winning NOxBUSTER® City retrofit exhaust aftertreatment system for city traffic
- Technologies and innovations that enable high emission reduction rates also at low exhaust temperatures in slow urban driving, without any additional heating devices
- Reliable, easy-to-use systems with supplementary services, e.g. emission monitoring and reporting systems
- Specific Euro VI retrofit systems for major vehicle makes and models
- World-leading retrofit technology with more than 20 years' experience
- Experience in demanding non-road OEM applications provides firm support to Proventia's retrofit R&D
- Reliable, easy-to-use systems with supplementary services, e.g. filter servicing and emission monitoring
- Verified by independent testing laboratories
- Approved by local authorities
Proven results from global retrofit projects
Proventia's proven results from global retrofit projects in major Asian and US cities, as well as in European Low Emission Zones, have established us as a global expert in retrofitting projects. We have supplied retrofit devices for a number of air quality projects worldwide. Systematic uses of retrofit exhaust aftertreatment devices allow vehicles and machines to operate in an environmentally friendly manner, meeting the strictest emission limits.